Monday, March 1, 2010

If you can't afford it, make it!

Good morning, all! I must say, it is a beautiful Monday today. Sunshine and lollypops. Anyway, I thought that I would outline a few of my upcoming/pending projects that I am dying to make! A lot of my inspiration has come from the up-cyling clothing world out there, so all of these things that I hope to make are actually being recyled into something new and totally amazing (I hope haha). To start:

1) A tie dress.
No, not a tie dye dress. A Tie Dress. As in "men's neck tie". I have found quite a few of these (surprisingly) online, but this one by a Ms. Hermes on Craftster.org (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=319164.0) really takes the cake. I am planning on modifying it a little bit to better fit my personality...and hips...but it really is so adorable!

2) A capelet/wrap thingie.
Yeah, this one is still in progress. I found a large, floor-length skirt in blue, grey, and black plaid that I really liked. It also has this really cute pleat detail in the back. Anyway, I was thinking about turning it into a dress, when all of a sudden I realized that the plaid was perfect for a hooded cape/wrap! I've seen some cute ones online, but none of them exactly what I was looking for, so I have opted to create my own. Granted, it is turning out to look kinda Victorian/Irish peasant girl (beats me how those two mesh...I guess it's the plaid haha), but I think I'll love it. Perfect timing too, as we are finally inching into spring. It will really be great in the fall too, I think...perhaps a bit more so due to the darker colors. Anyhoo, definitely an adventure!

3)Hippie pants.
This one is actually for Levi. I am going to attempt to cut up a bunch of old green, grey, and brown t-shirts into various shapes of square and rectangle patches, then sew them together to make my "fabric". The idea is to use tshirt material that doesn't really need to be hemmed, to create some spiffy, lightweight hippie pants for my hubby to hang out in. Another adventure, I'm sure.

4)An apron.
Yeah, I know this may not sound like a huge deal, but I have wanted a cute apron for ages, and now it is simply waiting to be created. I found 2 good sized, very cute striped pillowcases at the shareshop last week, and I think they want to be my apron. Yep, I'm pretty sure they do. The plan is to use one and a half of them to create a full, slightly ruffly, "skirt" bottom, and the rest of it to make the top part. Martha Stewart, step aside;)

Well, I do have TONS of more ideas...but I think this is a good start for now. If I finish these projects, then maybe I can start letting myself think about what to do next. So many ideas, and so little time!

Oh, this week's accomplishment, by the way, involved zero sewing (sad, I know...). I cleaned out the kitchen, said goodbye to the lovely paper snowflakes and the rest of the winter/Christmas decor (in the kitchen, at least...there is still that string of lights in the living room that I have yet to take down, as well as the greenery/red berry/pinecone swags over the doors...Levi won't let me take them down until I find something to replace them due to the rather large, unsightly nails we had to use to put them up in the first place. *sigh* I have a few ideas, but mostly I'm drawing a blank. I'm not huge into stuff over doorways throughout the year. Maybe I'll just fill in the holes and do a little touching up...? Any ideas would be great), created spring-y yellow tissue paper flowers for my wonderful vases-full-of-sticks-atop-my-kitchen-cabinets (sounds weird, I know, but they are really pretty darn cute), and bought seeds to plant in my window boxes. Yay! And the dollar store is selling decent sized bags of potting soil...hmmmmm:D

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment